Government of Canada
Common menu bar
Facilities Manager / Technical Maintenance Officer
£50,340 per annum
2 year term
Canada House, Trafalgar Square, London
Closing date for applications:
31-01-2017 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
Under the general direction of the Regional Manager, delivers and reports on-site technical services; plans and conducts inspections and monitors activities; plan, develops and prepares contract specifications, documentation and drawings and supervises construction, renovations, alterations, modifications and installations at Government of Canada Chanceries, Official Residences and staff quarters throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa; and provision of related advice to senior officials abroad and in Canada to support property program and asset planning and delivery
Candidates will initially be screened on these essential qualifications below and must demonstrate in their cover letter how they meet these criteria.
Education: Post-secondary education in project management, building sciences or construction technology, including mechanical, electrical architectural, structural, and life safety systems design; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Membership of a professional institution (i.e. MRICS, CEng, MCIBSE, MAPM, CIOB or similar).
Minimum five (5) years recent* work experience in:
• administration of architectural and engineering (A&ES) and construction contracts, construction methods and inspection, reading and interpreting mechanical electrical construction drawings, structural and civil trades terminology;
• Solicitation and contract documentation development such as Request for Proposal (RFPs), Statements Of Work (SOWs), estimating project cost and schedules, bid evaluation and contract award;
• Construction administration and implementation such as quality control, progress payments, change-orders, site supervision, commissioning inspections, claims management.
*Recent is defined as within the last 7 years.
Linguistic Profile: Proficiency in English and French (oral and written)
Candidates must also meet the Rated Requirements shown below, which will be assessed through any of the following: written test, oral communication, interview and reference checks.
• Knowledge of legislation and regulations pertaining to property matters including relevant codes and standards with emphasis on life and fire safety codes and standards.
• Knowledge of contracting approaches and methodologies related to planning and delivery for real property projects for A&ES and construction;
• Knowledge of building systems with a broad knowledge of civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical and environmental engineering
• Knowledge of project management practices including scope, time, cost, and risk;
• Ability to provide technical analysis and evaluation including conducting on-site examination of problems and recommending sound solutions.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work.
• Ability to resolve issues related to clients, scope, schedule and price.
• Ability to direct the work of others, contractors, professionals, etc.
• Computer skills in Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, and Power Point
• Client focus
• Initiative and good judgement
The High Commission has the right to further screen on Asset Qualifications and as such, preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications. Candidates should also clearly demonstrate in their cover letter if they meet these factors.
• Experience in asset management with specific experience within life cycle analysis and prioritization of planned investments and facility management with specific experience within maintenance management.
• Knowledge of trends and technologies in building maintenance and property services.
• Knowledge of environmental principles and sustainable environmental management practices.
• Membership of IMechE or MIEE
• Required to travel
• Required to work overtime, weekends and after normal working hours
Condition(s) of Employment:
Hours of work will be 37.5 per week, worked Monday to Friday at time to be arranged by the supervisor. Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory employment and character references, and the ability to maintain a Reliability Security clearance (including a criminal record and financial check).
Copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process. Successful candidate must have a valid passport and the required documentation allowing the right to work in the UK. Documentation will be required.
Area of selection:
Must be resident in the UK
This position is open to candidates who are currently resident in the UK, who hold current documentation allowing them to work in the UK, who meet all of the Essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Those candidates holding documentation/visas not renewable in the UK such as the Youth Mobility Visa will not be eligible to apply for this position. The High Commission of Canada does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interview nor does it reimburse any relocation costs. The High Commission of Canada does not sponsor work permit applications on behalf of candidates.
Top of Page