Government of Canada
Common menu bar
Senior Maintenance Technician
8.73 GHS per hour + benefits
(LOCALLY ENGAGED EMPLOYEE)
Closing date for applications:
19-01-2017 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
Under the general supervision of the Property Assistant, the Senior Maintenance Technician performs repairs in one or several functional areas of expertise for the mission such as refrigeration and air conditioning, electricity, and plumbing. The incumbent may also be required to supervise a team of maintenance technicians and/or supervise and inspect work performed by contractors to ensure compliance with manufacturer’s specifications and building codes.
The incumbent plans and prepares preventive maintenance programs in the area of expertise, and assists other Maintenance Team members in the completion of various projects.
• Fluent English (oral and written)
• Recognized technical and/or professional certification* in one the following fields: refrigeration and air-conditioning, plumbing, electrical.
*Minimum of TVET level 4/Certificate II awarded by Ghana Education Service or comparable equivalent
• Recent experience* working in general maintenance and with troubleshooting home and/or office maintenance issues
• Recent experience* in at least one of the following fields: Air Conditioning, plumbing, or electrical repairs
• Recent experience* in use of computers including MS Office and internet research skills
*Recent experience is defined as a minimum of 3 years within the last 5 years
• Knowledge of health and safety regulations/procedures
• Knowledge of codes and standards in Ghana
• Knowledge of basic maintenance management concepts and procedures:
o maintaining supplies and inventories
o maintaining service records
• Knowledge of basic maintenance repair concepts and procedures in one or more of the following :
o air conditioning
o residential appliances
• Ability to complete and relay facts related to incidents (flooding, damages, etc.)
• Ability to co-ordinate conflicting priorities, perform to tight deadlines and prioritize work
• Ability to diagnose and solve basic technical problems
• Ability to supervise contract trades and other resource personnel
• Ability to use computers (Outlook, word)
• Effective Interactive communication – oral and written
• Attention to details
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Experience working in a general maintenance position at a diplomatic mission, government agency or multinational company
• Experience with supervision of maintenance team or contractors
• Technical and/or professional certification in refrigeration and air-conditioning, plumbing, electrical.
• Relevant training in carpentry and/or masonry, audio-visual, and/or painting
• Knowledge of auto/vehicle mechanics
• French (working knowledge)
• Valid Ghanaian driver’s license F
If candidates meet the factors listed in the asset qualifications they must also clearly demonstrate how they meet these factors in their covering letter.
• May be required to work overtime (evenings/weekends) as required.
Condition(s) of Employment:
• Ability to obtain and retain a Government of Canada Reliability security screening
• Legal status to live and work in Ghana
• Valid Ghanaian driver’s license B or above, and clean driving abstract
• Ability to meet the medical requirements as defined by the employer**. Successful candidate(s) may be required to undergo a medical evaluation.
** This is a general support position which will requires the candidate to be to perform a variety of manual tasks including climbing, lifting or moving heavy objects, working in confined or hazardous environments and performing strenuous or repetitive tasks.
How to apply
• Please follow the link and complete the online application form. Candidates are also required to upload a CV and a covering letter. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
• Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications.
Area of selection:
This competition is open to locally engaged staff at the High Commission of Canada in Accra and to all people who have the right to legally reside and work in Ghana, who meet all of the essential qualifications and employment conditions and whose applications are received before the closing date.
• Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (English or French).
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Please note that some email systems may block emails from unknown users. Candidates should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including junk mail.
• Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited for further assessment. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The High Commission of Canada to Ghana does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• The High Commission of Canada in Ghana does not sponsor work permits directly or indirectly
• The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada to Ghana which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
• If you have any questions at any stage of the process, please send an email to email@example.com.
Top of Page