Government of Canada
Common menu bar
$37,587.59 per annum (plus benefits)
Consulate General of Canada in New York and Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations is seeking to hire a Driver/Messenger to provide day-to-day transportation, courier services and basic administrative support. There is one term position available, having a specified period of employment of two years, with the possibility of a term extension or a change in status to indeterminate based on operational needs. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and other similar positions at the same level, with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting opportunities at the Consulate General of Canada in New York or Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting. Open to: • Persons residing in the New York City area. • Employees of the Consulate General of Canada in New York and Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations. • Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance. • Spouses and dependents of Canada‐based staff at the Consulate General of Canada in New York and Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations. All applicants must: • Meet all of the essential requirements stated below. • Be resident in the United States. • Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions. • Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date. The covering letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the essential requirements, i.e., education, experience, for this position.
Consulate General of Canada in New York
Closing date for applications:
15-01-2017 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
Under the direction of the Mission Administrative Officer (MAO), provides transportation, delivery and errand services to all mission programs and visitors; ensures the proper maintenance and operation of the Missions’ official vehicles; maintains vehicle logs and records; provides basic administrative and support services while in the office, including mail and contractor supervision; assists staff with moving goods and with the setup/clean up of official programming and hospitality events; and performs other duties as assigned. The incumbent may also be required to act as chauffeur for executive management and visiting dignitaries.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
Successful completion of secondary school.
Ability to read, write and speak English fluently (ability to work in French would be an asset).
1. Recent experience as a driver for a government agency, livery service or large firm;
2. Recent experience driving in New York City in all conditions, i.e. winter weather, night driving, etc.
3. Experience performing basic car maintenance, e.g. changing a flat tire, checking and topping up oil/fluids.
4. Recent experience working in an office setting, providing administrative support tasks, such as recordkeeping, data entry, courier support and/or event set-up/support; and
5. Recent experience using MS Office Suite, e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in‐basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
• Knowledge of a motor vehicle and its operation;
• Knowledge of basic car mechanics and routine car care;
• Excellent knowledge of street routes and traffic patterns in New York City and the surrounding areas;
• Thorough knowledge of New York and locations of the governmental and international organizations (government buildings, the United Nations, other Consulates, etc);and
• Expert knowledge and understanding of traffic rules and regulations.
• Ability to read maps, judge distances, understand direction in order to identify and plan the most efficient routes;
• Ability to use a GPS, navigation system and related technology systems;
• Ability to use Microsoft Office suite software, e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer;
• Ability to use a Blackberry or smartphone;
• Ability to operate assigned vehicle in a safe and courteous manner and keep car clean and tidy at all times;
• Ability to work overtime as required (including nights and weekends);
• Plan & organize regularly scheduled maintenance for both official vehicles. Ability to check fluid levels, tire pressure, etc;
• Conduct minor maintenance (ex. Ability to change flat tire, replace broken wiper blade, add oil/fluids, etc)
• Provide excellent client service, maintaining composure when dealing with unusual situations or difficult clients;
• Assess situations that may involve a security or safety issue and initiate appropriate response;
• Demonstrate attention to detail;
• Prepare documentation and record-keeping; and
• Provide courier services by delivering and collecting items or materials;
• Punctual and dependable;
• Adaptable and flexible;
• Effective interpersonal skills; and
• Successful completion of a driver/security training course, e.g., defensive driving training.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 40 hours per week. The successful candidate must be able to work frequent overtime on short notice and be available for duties outside of normal working hours, i.e., early morning, evenings, weekends, and some overnight travel.
Condition(s) of Employment:
Condition of employment (must be met):
• Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
• Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions;
• A valid US driver’s license;
• Clean, safe driving record; and
• Good physical condition; capable of lifting packages or bags up to 50 lbs (22kg).
Area of selection:
New York City area
All applications will be carefully reviewed against the essential qualifications. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who fully meet all the essential qualifications will be contacted for further assessment, including: a personal interview with a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities, competencies and personal suitability for the position. In addition, tests may be conducted to assist the selection board in assessing the applicant’s knowledge, abilities, personal suitability and language ability. Reference verifications may also be carried out.
The Consulate General of Canada in New York is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes. The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor. The Consulate General of Canada in New York offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
In completing their applications, candidates will confirm that they meet all the essential requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description.
All submissions must be electronic; hard copy applications will not be accepted. Please indicate the competition number on all correspondence.
For more information about this position please open the following documents:
Sorry, this vacancy is closed.
Top of Page