Government of Canada
Common menu bar
Political and Public Affairs Officer
96,893 CHF gross per annum, plus 13th month bonus *Note that this amount is before income taxes and other legal deductions
Term contract (36 months) with possibility of extension or becoming indeterminate. (37.5 hours/week)
Closing date for applications:
20-01-2017 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
Under the direction of the Counselor (Political), the responsibilities for this position may include but not limited to:
• Analysing and reporting on political and economic developments in Switzerland and Liechtenstein;
• Providing strategic advice to managers;
• Assist in developing, planning, and executing events and visits
• Building and maintaining a network of relationships with government officials, non-governmental contacts, diplomatic missions, and other key stakeholders;
• developing and implementing advocacy and communications activities including through social media;
Degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the Political and Public Affairs Section (such as International relations, Political Science, Economics, History, Business, Communications or Public Policy) or a degree from a recognised university and a minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience.
Fluency in English, French and German (oral and written).
• A minimum of three (3) years of recent work experience* in a government capacity or in an political/economic-oriented sector;
• A minimum of three (3) years of recent experience in an office environment;
• Experience in the preparation of a variety of documents, briefing notes, presentations and in writing executive correspondence and reports;
• Experience conducting research and providing high-quality analysis in verbal and written form.
*Recent experience is defined as within the last 5 years.
• Knowledge of the Swiss political/economic environment and the factors that influence policy in Switzerland;
• Knowledge of the Canadian political system and Canada’s foreign policy and economic priorities;
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point) and principal Social Media Apps (notably twitter), as well as Internet research skills.
• Ability to manage competing priorities effectively with a high level of detail in a high-paced work environment;
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team;
• Ability to communicate effectively in English, French, and German, orally and in writing;
• Ability to analyze, evaluate and present information to facilitate decision making;
• Ability to use social media tools for advocacy and to generate new opportunities;
• Ability to interact effectively with stakeholders/contacts and to maintain and build a network.
• Adaptability and Flexibility;
• Client focus;
• Effective interpersonal relations and respect;
• Action Management and initiative;
• Strong ethic, integrity and discretion.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications.
Knowledge of Italian.
• Experience working for a diplomatic mission or a governmental /international organization;
• Work experience in Canada or in an organization linked to Canada.
Availability and willingness to work overtime when required;
Availability and willingness to travel occasionally and on short notice;
Normal work week is 37.5 hours from Monday to Friday;
Available to start as early as March 1st, 2017.
Condition(s) of Employment:
Able to obtain and maintain a Government of Canada Reliability Status Clearance. Please note that the Reliability Status Clearance must be maintained throughout your employment at the Embassy as failure to do so may result in dismissal. To conduct the Reliability Status Check, the candidate must submit the following documents on being selected:
• Police/criminal record certificate;
• Credit check;
• Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (if applicable);
• Birth Certificate;
• 2 x recent passport photos;
• Certificate(s) of employment/letter(s) of reference;
• School certificate.
How to apply:
Please click on the link www.wfca-tpce.com and complete the online application form.
Candidates are also required to upload their resume and a covering letter in English or French.
Applications which do not include all of the requested information or documents will be rejected.
Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications.
Area of selection:
This position is open to candidates who are eligible to work in Switzerland at the time of submitting their application and for the duration of the term contract, who meet all of the essential qualifications stated above, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Proof of right to work in Switzerland and educational qualifications will be required at the selection and interview stage of the process
• Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice (English or French). They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
• Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited for further assessment. Methods of assessment may include but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests and/or psychometric assessment.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The Embassy of Canada to Switzerland does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada to Switzerland which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
• If you have any questions at any stage of the process please send an email to RSCEMA.Personnel@international.gc.ca .
Top of Page